Pena Knives X-Series Caballero Ebony is designed for everyday use (EDC – EveryDay Carry).
Pena Knives, or rather Enrique Peña, has been dealing with knifemaking since 2005. He lives in Laredo, Texas, in the United States, where his fascination with the knife world, which had been developing since his youth, turned into a professional activity. So his workshop is located in Laredo of course. Enrique Pena has always had an interest in traditional slipjoint folding knives. Its origins are related to this type of blade and the use of more traditional materials in the production. It gradually evolved, expanding the range of steel and materials for knives with the most modern ones and modifying their designs. The result is the highly recognizable folding knives, quickly opened thanks to the use of the front flipper, which fits perfectly with the light and airy products of Pena Knives.
The production versions of Pena X-Series designs are created in coollaboration with the Reate Knives factory known for very high quality standards. The Pena X-Series offer includes folding knives with liner locks, with frame locks, slipjoint knives and front flipper knives, fixed blade knives and tools designed by Enrique Pena. The materials used in the production are: M390 steel for blades, titanium, micarta and carbon fiber (carbon and fat carbon) on the handle, etc. Also, less visible components are made of the most modern and best materials, such as ceramics for bearings and detent ball.
About Caballero Ebony
The knife blade is made of M390 powder steel. It is one of the few steels available on the market in the absolute top quality of materials used in the production of premium knives. Its best properties are obtained by proper performance of the hardening process, in which 3 stages must be flawlessly carried out: hardening, cryogenic cooling (freezing) and tempering. A properly prepared M390 blade is extremely resistant to overload, stays sharp for a long time (wears very slowly) and has excellent anti-corrosion properties.
Efficient knife blade
The knife blade is made in the drop point style and has a flat grind. The style in which the blade was made determines its optimal functionality and dedicates it to any type of work. The swedge from the back towards the tip of the blade allows better penetration of the material to be cut. On the spine of the blade, next to the bolster, we can see jimping that supports the thumb during cuts that require pressure, and is also the grip plane of the front flipper.
Smooth opening and frame lock
The opening of the knife takes place thanks to the front flipper (fin) that subtly protrudes from the blade. The knife unfolds very freely and smoothly thanks to its ceramic ball bearings. The knife has a stable and durable lock to prevent accidental closure, type frame lock. In the titanium lock liners there is a steel lock insert along with a ceramic detent ball.
Titanium body and ebony wood inserts
The knife body is made of titanium (liners, backspacer). Titanium is an extremely durable material, light and practically stainless. The covers have inserts made of exclusive ebony wood. The backspacer strengthening the structure of the handle, made of titanium, is profiled in such a way as to put a hidden lanyard pin at the end of the knife. You can use it to additionally protect the knife from being lost or to attach a decorative bead that improves the grip of the whole (the beads can be purchased HERE).
Titanium carrying clip
The Tip-Up style carrying clip located at the end of the knife handle allows the closed blade to be carried upside down. The clip is made of titanium.
- Blade: folding blade; drop point style blade with flat grind and plain cutting edge; swedge on the spine
- Steel: EM390 (59-61 HRC); satin finish
- Handle: bead blasted titanium with ebony wood inserts; titanium backspacer; one-sided titanium carrying clip (Tip-Up)
- Lock: frame lock
- Opening: front flipper; ceramic ball bearings; ceramic detent ball
- Pouch: not available
- Contents: knife, microfibre cloth, packaging box
- Dimensions: total length: 166 mm | 6.53″; blade length: 166 mm | 6.53″, length when folded: 94 mm | 3.70″, blade thickness: 3,3 mm | 0.12″
- Weight: 72 g | 2.53 oz
- Product code: not available
- Producer: Peña Knives, USA
- Remember! Every of our knives are extremely sharp, so be careful when handling them!
- Do not use your knife for something besides it’s intended purpose! Do not use the knife as a can opener, screwdriver, chisel, hammer, crowbar etc.
- After using your knife with sea water, blood, fruits or other corrosive mediums, always rinse the knife with fresh water and dry it off.
- Do not wash the knife with harder chemicals or in the dishwasher. This may damage or destroy the knife.
- Before storing your knife, apply thin film of high-quality gun oil or special knife oil or wax to knives. We recommend that you always keep your knife and sheath clean and dry when not in use.
- Always keep your knife sharp, so it can always take care of you.